Over time where we live and work get a build up of old mental, emotional and physical energy. While the house and land holds onto the “old” energy it can be hard to create anything new and sustain a healthy, happy space. In the worst case scenarios bad house energy can affect health of the people, pets and plants living there and can also create issues with finances, abundance, relationships, sleep patterns + more. It is really important to do house clearings when moving into a new property to clear out the old residents energetic “stuff” and it’s also lovely to do when you move out of space so you can fully integrate into new. As general rule I recommend doing clearings at the change of every season four times a year. It is also great to do after anyone in the house has been sick or if there has been a lot of conflict or fighting.
How can I do a house clearing?
There are quite a few ways you can do a house clearing. When I do them for myself, friends or clients I use a mix of smudging, reiki, sound healing and crystal grids. For many years before I knew how to do clearings with reiki and sound healing I would just use ‘smudging’ and found it to be extremely effective.
What is “smudging” and how do I do that?
Smudging is an American Native Indian ritual and it is super easy. A smudge stick is a bunch of dry herbs, usually white sage. You can purchase smudge sticks from most health food shops, Ishka, Tree of Life, TS Bookshop and also online.
- To prepare the house for the clearing open up the windows nice and wide, open up your front door and back door if you have one. The fresh air really gets the stagnant air moving and once the smudge stick starts smoking it will allow the smoke to escape and take the dense energy with it.
- Place your smudge stick on a fire proof plate or bowl.
- Start at your front door and close your eyes I set this intention “I call in the elements of fire, air, earth and water to help me cleanse my home. May all dense, old, toxic energy be transformed and transmuted bringing this space back into perfect balance and harmony. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you”
- Now light the smudge stick using a lighter, match or candle. Allow the end to really light up and then blow it out so that the dry herbs start to smoke. The idea is that you get the stick smouldering as much as possible, rather than constantly burning with flame.
- Using the smoke draw an imaginary line and run it around the shape of the door of your front door in a clockwise direction.
- Then step inside and move around your house in a clockwise direction going into each room. Draw a line of smoke around each door way and then let the smoke float around the room.
- Take the stick into each corner of the room and waft it around. You might like to run the stick around your furniture, in your closets, etc. Go with what feels right as you do it.
- Make your way through your entire house, including the back door and any garages or sheds you may have. As you move through your house clearing it with the smoke you might like to play music you enjoy that calms you, light nice candles, pop on some lovely essential oils in a diffuser and really enjoy the process.
- Then you’re done! Too easy. Now you and whoever you live with can enjoy the fresh new balanced energy that a good “smudging” provides.
I would love to hear how you go and anything you notice after doing your house clearings
Interested in learning more about energy & healing?
Come and do your Reiki training with me!! Reiki isn’t just for people who want to become Reiki healers. The courses are a wonderful personal & spiritual development journey that will really empower you to create an amazing life that is fulfilling and rewarding. You learn all about the energy world around and within you, the chakra system, how to do self healing and healing for family, friends and pets + much more.